On the 1st of July 2016, two new student visas have come into effect in order to facilitate the application process as they replace the past structure of 8 student visas:
- Subclass 500, also called Student Visa
- Subclass 590, also called Student Guardian Visa
The subclass 500 allows international students to study in Australia on a full time or part time basis, and bring with them family members or partners.
Following the requirements for the Subclass 500:
- Be accepted by an Australian educational institution (Certificate of Enrolment).
- Demonstrate to be a genuine student.
- Provide certified copies of your passport.
- Provide evidence of your financial capacity.
- Possess functional English language skills.
- Have a private Health Insurance.
The Subclass 590 has replaced the Subclass 580, and it allows applicants to apply as a guardian for one or more international students, bring family members and child under six years old in limited circumstances.
Following the requirements for the Subclass 590:
- Demonstrate the custody of the student.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Provide evidence of funds to support yourself and the student.
- Have a health insurance and police check.
Every application is unique and needs to be put in the context of applicant’s personal circumstances.